Language:

  • Greek
  • English (United Kingdom)

Useful Information - Municipality of Larissa

The prefecture of Larissa is 5,381 square kilometers in extent and its population is currently 270,612 inhabitants.
According to the archaeological finds, the presence of man in the area of Larissa has been continuing since the Middle Paleolithic Era. The city was named after Larissos, who built the first city 4,000 years ago. Larissa was at the peak of its prosperity in 450-370 B.C. when its population was around 100,000 people. At that time it had a stadium, an academy of music, a market, two theatres, and many temples. One of its two theatres has a seating capacity of 10,000 and is regarded as one of the largest and nicest theatres saved. It is made from white marble, which is a sign of the financial strength of the city.

In Christian times, Larissa was a prosperous city and an important cultural center as well as a See with a Cathedral (St. Achilles, Archbishop of Larissa). Until 1423, the Goths, the Visigoths, the Bulgarians and the Catalans invaded it. Since 1423, under Ottoman rule, the Turkish had inhabited Larissa. Since then, the Geni-Tzami (19th century) has been saved, which now houses the Archaeological Museum.

Larissa was liberated on August 30, 1881 and, along with the annexation of Thessaly to the new Greek State, the new prefecture of Larissa was formed.

Nowadays, the prefecture of Larissa belongs to the Region of Thessaly consisting of the provinces of Larissa, Agia, Elassona, Tirnavos, and Farsala. Its capital is the city of Larissa, which is 350 km from Athens and 150 km from Thessaloniki.

The current emblem of the city of Larissa is the "horse" of the Thessalian plain, which traditionally supported every agricultural activity. Today Larissa is a modern city. It is the seat of the Region of Thessaly and the center of great military establishments (1strecreation parks (the Alcazar, the Aesthetic Grove), and remarkable cultural activity in the arts, music, and drama. Army, Airforce, etc.). It has beautiful squares (the Central, the Tachydromeiou, the St. Vissarionos, etc.), pedestrian streets and

The following are noteworthy:

  • The Archeological Museum (2 31st Augustu St.) shows numerous exhibitions of Paleolithic, Neolithic, Archaic, and Byzantine times. It is open all week (except Mondays) 8:30-15:00; tel. 2410-288515.
  • The Folklore - Historical Museum (74 Mandilara St.), whose purpose is to preserve the material and cultural legacy. It is open all week (except Saturdays), 10:00-14:00; tel. 2410-239446.
  • The City Gallery (in Chatzigiannio Cultural Center, 59 Roosevelt St.) is the second most important gallery in Greece and comprises a collection of 750 works of painting, engraving, and drawing by Greek artists of the 19th and 20th centuries; tel. 2410-621205.
  • The Plastic Center of Modern Art (Commercial Center - 111 Sokratous St) is a vehicle of modern, plastic creation on the panhellenic and international level.
  • The Conservatory (St. Vissarionos square) has a school of music and an Orchestra of Traditional Music as well as a Symphonic Orchestra, a Women's and Children's Orchestra, a Byzantine Music Orchestra, and a City Band; tel. 2410-250956.
  • The Thessalian Theatre is the first Municipal Range Theatre in Greece. It has a repertoire from revue to ancient tragedy, and strengthened significantly the institution of decentralization and motivated several illustrious Thessalian - mainly from Larissa - artists, stage directors and designers. Since 1983, the Amateur and Children Stages have been operating while other amateur initiatives complete the theatrical activities of the prefecture. The theater stage is housed at the "Mylos tou Papa" building and its offices are at the Chatzigiannio; tel. 2410-621209.
  • The Chatzigiannio Municipal Cultural Center (59 Roosevelt St) provides a great number of activities (organization of the Mediterranean Festival of New Filmmakers, movie shows, and lots of other manifestations); tel. 2410-626818.
  • The two winter cinemas of the city: 1. The Victoria Cinema (with two show rooms) 14 L. Katsoni St, tel. 2410232889, and 2. The Olympia Cinema, 29 Al. Panagouli St., tel. 2410-287279.
  • The Summer Cinema at the "Mylos tou Papa" (tel. 2410-621203, 2410-621206) with daily movie shows and other shows.
  • The Garden Theater at the Alcazar Park presents remarkable performances and musical shows.

The athletic infrastructure of the city of Larissa is also interesting and covers every sport. At the Alcazar district there are football stadiums, basketball, volleyball, and tennis courts, a swimming pool (tel. 2410-252434), a sports stadium (tel. 2410-536303), and a heavy sports gym (tel. 2410-222487). Neapoli has a very remarkable gym (tel. 2410619738) with seating capacity of approximately 7,000. The Athletic Organization of the city of Larisa, which cares about the promotion of mass athletics and manages the several athletic centers, applies various athletic programs (Athletics and Woman, etc.); tel. 2410-235260.

Useful telephone numbers:

City Hall: 2410-531064

Prefectural Authority of Larissa: 2410-534589

Police Station: 2410-623168

Hellenic Organization of Tourism: 2410-250919

Post Office: 2410-532272

Railway Station: 2410-236250

Intercity Bus Service: 2410-537737

Olympic Airways: 2410-550746, 2410-550756

Radiotaxi Service: 2410-552727

University Hospital of Larissa: 2410-617000


More Information: www.larissa-dimos.gr/

Statistics

Members : 3
Content : 314
Web Links : 71
Content View Hits : 2906906
We have 107 guests online

Images

ad2.jpg
  • Πανεπιστήμιο Θεσσαλίας
  • Πανεπιστήμιο Θεσσαλίας
  • Πανεπιστήμιο Θεσσαλίας
  • Πανεπιστήμιο Θεσσαλίας
  • Πανεπιστήμιο Θεσσαλίας
  • Πανεπιστήμιο Θεσσαλίας
escort ankara porno izle sikiş ukash